Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Knitting dishcloths!

I've been knitting dishcloths for many years. They make a wonderful, quick and useful gift that just about anyone can use. The following dishcloths were knit for my niece.
The old standard dishcloth is the one knit on the diagonal.

 You need to use cotton yarn, Sugar 'n Cream, is one of the most commonly used yarns for dishcloths. As you can see in the photo, they have just come out with self-striping yarn. I love it! It makes your work seem more complicated -- and hopefully it is more appreciated by the person who receives the dishcloth.
I like some of the other patterns for dishcloths as well. This one was called Alex's Dishcloth and I found it as a free pattern.

It took a lot more yarn than I expected, but looks nice.
This last one, which I actually made first, was my favorite and was also a free pattern. There are patterns for all kinds of dishcloths out there.
 Any of these dishcloths can be made in a couple hours if you are a fast knitter! If you are slow, maybe three hours. But, they can still be made in relatively little time.

Two balls of Sugar 'N Cream yarn make three dishcloths. Make sure you find the same dye lot when you buy it. I had a hard time doing that. I spent a lot of time comparing the various balls of yarn. In the end, I did find two that matched.
While the plain yarn is nice, especially if you can match it to someone's kitchen decor, I like the variegated yarn or the self-striping. It's just a little more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment